A finish!!!

I finally finished this miniature quilt.  It is 8.75" Square, so it is the smallest one I have made in this series.  That is because it was inspired by the crib quilt shown above in the book Art of the Needle  100 Masterpiece Quilts from the Shelburne Museum by Henry Joyce. My quilt is shown above laying on the book.  It is made with fabrics from the 1820's and 1840's.  It is also the first quilt that I folded the backing over to the front for binding.  All the other quilts in this series have a separately applied single fold binding.  The inspiration quilt was made by an unknown quilter, probably from Pennsylvania, mid 19th century.  It is 39" square.  When I saw it in the book, I fell in love with it and had to make it in miniature. My version is hand pieced and hand quilted.

I struggle with taking photos that show the scale of the quilt to the viewer.  From your comments, I think it is most apparent when I put my hand in the photo.  So that is what I did. 
About inspiration - people have asked me where it comes from. 
 Sometimes:
  • From a book as shown above.  
  • I just have an idea of what quilt would make up nicely in my current favorite antique fabric. 
  • There is a combination of fabrics that beg to be used together. 
  • I just draw a block in a quilt program and go from there. 
  • The finished quilt bears little resemblance to whatever idea started the whole thing. 
  • The finished quilt is actually pretty close to the inspiration quilt, as in the example above.
Till next time.............
Sheila

Comments

Karen said…
That is a tiny quilt. At first glance, I thought your quilt laying on the book was a picture in the book. Then I realized that it overlapped onto the left side page in the book.
ann hermes said…
Just beautiful. Your list of inspirations is just the same as mine!
Lisa said…
Sheila, it's wonderful! Your work is always so inspiring. I love it when people reproduce quilts from books.
Darling quilt..."beautiful colors"...I love making small quilts too! Thanks for sharing. Carolyn :)

Popular Posts