Back from Paducah!

We made it to Paducah and back.  The actual drive time from Burton, Ohio to our home in IL is 8 hours and 22 minutes.  That is a lot for me.  Plus, we travel with 2 cats.  Don't think I need to elaborate on that.
We had such a good time at the quilt show this year.  The weather was absolutely perfect. We always go to the Rotary Quilt Show on Tuesday and then to the larger show on Wednesday.  This year the Rotary featured a selection of antique quilts from the Arlan and Pat Christ collection.  The photos we took are not the best, but here is one of the quilts:
This is a stunning quilt.  Their description of it reads:
"Bethlehem Star c.1840 Collected in Pennsylvania  Hand pieced with printed backing  100 inches x 104 inches  Cotton."  Don't ever pass up an opportunity to see their quilts and lectures.
My husband and I got to chat with them and they are a lovely couple with a passion for quilts.  We hope to meet them again some day.
We got to spend a little time with Pat Lewis and the Yo-Yo ladies.  Pat introduced me to Naomi Ichikawa the Editorial Director of  Patchwork Quilt Tsushin who was doing an article on them.  The Yo-Yo Ladies have now raised over $78,000 for charities.  They are dynamic ladies and I can't say how much I like them and admire them. 
We went to the National Quilt Museum and got to say "hi" to Gerald Roy.  I wanted to give him the Orange and Blue Miniature Quilt.  He had sent me those fabrics among others.  He seemed to like it and said it will eventually wind up at the museum, but not for some time.
We saw Judy Schwender, the curator and she showed us my Miniature Mariner's Compass Quilt which she hung with the "Oh Wow Miniatures" quilts. 
Here we are in one of the Museum workrooms. 
Here is Gerald's entry in the Pilgrim and Roy Challenge that is kicked off at the Paducah AQS show.
It is a very interesting quilt - lots of movement and the more you look at it, the more you see.
Well, that is it for now.  I am pretty tired from all the traveling. I came home with some treasures and will share them in future posts. 
Till next time..................
Sheila


 

Comments

Jill said…
Oh, I wish I could have gone this year. I am hoping to next year. Looks like you saw some great quilts. We had Pat and Arlan here last year, but that was before we knew you.
Can't wait to see what you brought home with you.
Karen said…
What a wonderful trip you had. And you knew exactly how long the driving took to get there. Must mean the cats didn't like the trip too much.
Your miniatures continue to amaze me and I can see that others feel that way too.
Annelies said…
I am visiting your blog because it was mentioned on the blog of Barbara Brackman and I love your work. I will visit it again !
Hi Sheila!

I admire your quilts and your talent! I collect a few antique quilts but have difficulty cutting them up!
I love Paducah! I went last year when they had the horrible flood. They still had a great show. I hope to go again. Here in Texas we have a lot of interest in Civil War quilts which I adore. Do you ever get to Texas? What do you do on a machine? How do you sign your quilts? I mean what information do you offer as far as the antique fabric goes?
Thanks so much. I am very happy to have found your blog.
Mary
www.lambscrib.blog.spot.com
Wow! Looks like you had a thoroughly enjoyable trip! The star quilt is gorgeous. It must have been neat to see it in person. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of the show with us.

Popular Posts