Mariner's Compass Blocks
Here's an update on the miniature compass blocks. Just got them all trimmed. That was a scary proposition. I decided to trim them so that the background at the centers of the blocks won't show when they are sashed. That meant leaving only 1/8" seam allowance at those points. That's when you really hope you don't slip because there just isn't any room for error. If you mess up, you scrap the whole block and start again. I am glad it is over and as far as I know right now, they are all o.k. Whew. I like to have one miniature quilt that is being quilted at all times. I finished my Little Leaf Quilt and didn't have a quilt waiting, so stopped other things and started up on the compass blocks again. About the quilting - it is not my favorite part of making a miniature and I have to force myself to quilt them. Of course it is always a happy day when one is quilted and bound. I will be showing the leaf quilt one of these days.
Post script: Thank you for the nice comments. Karen asked about the fabric in one block in particular. All the long points of the compass were fussy cut. Sometimes it made it appear as though more than one fabric was used per point, but that was not the case. I apologize for a fuzzy photo. I just hold my camera up horizontally above my work table and snap a picture - not the best way to do it. The green fabric, the center fabric, the background wedge shape fabric and the background fabric were the same for all blocks. The tiny piece at the base of the green points is the same in all the blocks, but looks different because it was fussy cut and gives the appearance of being totally different fabrics. (That may not show up in the photo.) The blocks finish at 2 5/8". Think that's about it for now.