Miniature Mariner's Compass Blocks

Here's some little blocks I have been piecing.  They are a Mariner's Compass variation.  Each block has 31 pieces.  The fabrics in the background are being auditioned for the block background.  I am not sure if I want to use prints or something plain to put around the compasses to make a square block.  Plus, I am not sure exactly how I want to set them into a square.  Do I want to applique the compasses down to the background, or do I want to cut a circle in the square and applique it to the compass?  Probably the latter, but it will require some experimentation.  They will probably get set aside for awhile, while I mull it all over. So, don't hold your breath waiting to see a finished quilt of these blocks.  Sometimes it takes me awhile to get it all figured out.  The fabrics are from the 1870's.  One of them fell apart while I was sewing it.  The large points are madders and the black that is nearly always used with the copper color is always fragile, due to the iron mordant that was used to set the dye.  It is always risky business to use antique fabrics, but they give such a special look to the finished quilt.  The blocks are hand pieced, as this quilt will be in the Portfolio Series.  Till next time.....

Comments

Cheryl said…
So inspiring Sheila. The mariner's compasses are stellar.
Karen said…
Those tiny compass parts of blocks are just wonderful. I just assumed you had used repro fabrics but in reading, I note that you are using antique fabrics. What a wonderful project.
Jan said…
Wow! Great fabric combination. I've had trouble with antique fabrics splitting during hand quilting, too. Even if you only make this one block it's still wonderful!
Jill said…
Amazing! I have been reading older posts and your miniature quilts leave me speechless.
Lisa said…
Wonderful blocks Sheila! I don't think I'll try this, as I have enough trouble with a big Mariner's Compass. I know how challenging sewing with antique fabrics can be, too.
I'm researching Mariner's Compasses for a painting I'm going to do on my deck and your little blocks came up, absolutely charming, thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts