September Calendar Page

Hi to everyone out there in cyber space.
This month's doll quilt is a vintage 1930's one.  It is a sweet one, but not really remarkable in any way.  Probably done by a mother who took some time to make it, but didn't produce a masterpiece.  The back has two strips of blue fabrics - one on each long side - sewn to the plain muslin backing. I don't know if this was a design element or simply out of necessity.  I am thinking it was possibly a combo of both reasons.  She didn't have a large enough piece of muslin and decided to make it look nice by carefully adding the two perfectly straight strips. This was, after all, during the depression when everyone made- do.  I particularly like it when they "made-do" but made art at the  same time.  The binding is wide and curved, not mitered on the corners. The blocks are about 3.25" square, but vary a bit.  This quilt would be a snap to reproduce, although changing the unfinished size of the blocks to 3.5" square would probably be easier.
Well, that's it for today.
Till next time.........
Sheila

Comments

ann hermes said…
I love simple, make-do, naive doll quilts! Very nice.
Pam Betz said…
Hi Sheila--I don't need anymore large bed quilts, but this doll quilt could make a sweet baby quilt. If you are ever up my way please call, I'd love to see you.
Pam Betz
Janet O. said…
Was recently given a link to your blog by someone who knows what I like. I look forward to following along (and I'm sure I will have to reproduce one of these sweet quilts now and then).

Popular Posts