The National Quilt Museum

Towards the end of last year, a letter from the museum arrived requesting a small quilt for their small quilt auction held during the April Quilt Show.  I don't know any more about it than that.  All I know is that they requested a small quilt, so there it is.  I drove down there with it yesterday and got to visit with my favorite ladies, the Yo-Yo's.  Also, waited to say hi to Jerry Roy who was arriving in Paducah yesterday.   Some lovely ladies from The Shawnee Quilter's Guild from southern Illinois were there helping to put up a new exhibit and I got to meet them.  I got a sneak preview of a contemporary and awesome potholder quilt that will be in their New England Quilt Exhibit.  Potholder refers to a construction method.  The quilt is comprised of small squares that are quilted and bound and then all of the squares are whipped together.  Not to be confused with Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting method.  Jerry told me that it seemed to be something that was popular in Maine and someone else said it was from ladies sewing circles that made Civil War soldier's quilts. Anyway, the contemporary example I saw was simply stunning.
Back to my quilt, here is the photo with the hand for scaling purposes :
and here the quilt is in it's display case, ready to auction:
Till next time...........
Sheila
 
 

Comments

Karen said…
I hope you get to know how much money your miniature brings to the museum. Do you know how long it took to make the tiny creation?
Jill said…
Wow, what a sweet little quilt! Wish I could watch this one sell. The last miniature of yours that went up for auction, ended up out of my reach. But, it sure was fun to watch!!
Oh Sheila, I am so honored to hear your comments on what I think must be my pot holder quilt. I sent it off last week for the exhibit. The pot holder method was indeed very popular here in Maine in the 19th century. We have found many examples in our search for Maine quilts. I hope to publish the patterns for the one that you saw and hopefully get more people inspired about this fun and unique method of quiltmaking. Pam Weeks and Don Beld wrote a book on Civil War quilts made in this manor and Pam is coming out with a new book strictly on the pot holder method. I'll let you know when it is out. Your work is so magnificent I am so honored by your comments. Thank you!
Wendy

Popular Posts