$4 Quilt Treasure!

Well, what do you think!  As mentioned previously, my husband and I like to check out thrift stores when the opportunity presents itself.  Yesterday we went to a small town about 30 miles from here to do some grocery shopping and Vern spied a Salvation Army Store.  The last 2 dozen trips or so we have made to various thrift stores hasn't turned up anything.  That is the way it is - more often than not, no treasures are to be had.  Yesterday we walked in and Vern said quietly to me: "There's a quilt on the counter."  I was over there in a flash.  Usually an item on the counter means that someone wants it and it is spoken for, but what the heck, I thought I would ask the clerk.  "Oh, she said, I am just pricing this and putting it out."  I said, "Well, if you don't mind, I will just wait here for it."  She took her time and priced it, folded it up and handed it to me.  I thanked her and wondered what in the world the price would be.  Hidden in the folds was an $8 price tag.  Yippee.  Then Vern said:  "They are having a sale and everything is 50% off.  Ha, the total came to $4.28.  It was my lucky day!  So, here are the statistics for all you quilters:  12 blocks, 16" square, 3.5" wide sashings, 9" borders to make a 73" x 92.5" quilt.  It is hand quilted.  It is not a masterpiece of quiltdom, but it is so representative of the 1930's and it is in really good condition for what I consider an everyday quilt, that it fits my definition of a super bargain.  The last small photo shows the backing which is striped and appears to be one full piece. The colors on the large photo are a bit washed out.  The small photos were taken inside and the colors show up a bit better.  Wish my camera skills were a bit better.
Till next time..........
Sheila

Comments

Lisa said…
What a great find Sheila! Hope to see it at our next meeting.
Cheryl said…
Lucky you! Great find.
cockermom said…
Lucky you! Very pretty find, congratulations! I laughed when I read it because your hubby spied it and, as my hubby says, 'reported it to the boss'. lol. Quilting husbands are so special, aren't they?
Donnie

Popular Posts